Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Why Spirituality - Seeking G-d Like Moments

Why did I respond to Rabbi Paul to enter into this conversation? Seeking spirituality is a journey I have found myself on for a long time going back to my teenage years. It is different than a religious experience for religion can be bogged down with the dogma of who may be speaking or the prayer book being read. A spiritual experience seems to have its own unique energy unrelated to anything written in the Tanakh or other formal religious documents. To me I call it having a G-d like moment.

I have main three main categories of my spiritual or G-d like moments: (i) being deep in the wilderness (usually the mountains but the sea shore is also good), (ii) the birth of my children (all three of them), and (iii) meaningful conversation (e.g., not about weather and politics but about life its own self) with others (both friends and strangers).

I love being in the open spaces of the mountains or the sea shore. Being away from man-made objects or man-made noises seems to allow the life forces to speak to me, which some of us may called G-d. I can actually feel the energy, experiencing true awe of the beauty around me, and how I am part of something bigger than myself.

My children being born was another interesting experience. All three times I actually felt the new energy of my newborn child come into the LDR. I was overwhelmed with emotions I was unaware I had. I remember calling my mom with tears running down my cheeks and how much joy I felt that that I had just become a father.

Lastly, I am moved by the little yet meaningful moments of life. Talking to a stranger on an airplane and finding out where they are going and where they are coming from. Talking to a new person at Or Ami, any new person at work or a friend's social gathering. I appreciate the things we may have in common and/or the new ideas and views I may learn speaking with someone with a different perspective. I believe that if we could all be more open to hearing new ideas and viewpoints and not discount or argue with them, we are on the road to the Messianic age: a greater peace on earth in that no idea to help the common good is to bold or brash. I must state that these ideas for the common good must espouse the basic tenants of a sane and balanced life in that we all do unto others that which we would only do unto ourselves (e.g. do not violate our basic rights of life: the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness).

I look forward to continuing this dialogue with the group and searching for the deeper meanings of life and why we are all here on Earth.

3 comments:

Adam Chambers said...

Beautiful Kevin. After reading your piece I couldn't agree more.

Rabbi Paul Kipnes said...

Welcome Kevin to the conversation!
I love your honesty and your clarity of thought, especially about how spirituality is experienced in different categories of life.

The third category, meaningful conversation, reminds me of the teachings of 20th century German/American theologian Martin Buber who said that God is found in the meeting between two people. When we stop looking at (objectifying) others and instead connect on the deepest level (so that we forget the difference between you and I), then God is in the moment.

Stacy said...

I wish everyone was in this state of mind. Beautiful. By Stacy Mook