Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Spirituality when saying Shema

Alan (StopCancerNow) writes:

Bryce Cyn., being in the outdoors, I AGREE, is an amazing place to feel the connection with ones spirituality (and Yosemite too). For certain, I have felt my spirituality outdoors. Having a baby is an amazing time to feel spirituality! While I love the outdoors and all that represents in mother nature/G*d; for me, my *Jewish*spirituality, has developed more as I live life day after day and listen to a book repeatedly, called:"The Art of Happiness" by the Dali Lama. (I also feel spirituality in listening to song and surf.)

And mostly my spirituality has come together for me when saying the amazing prayer, The Shema, while my wife, sister and close friend were dying.
GO figure?!?

Death is part of life. The Shema is like a mini Kaddish. Finding spirituality in times of struggle, like death and in actions, such as: 'Random Acts of Kindness,' seem to be another place where I find Spirituality too. Shalom

PS When I meditate and focus on breath, stretch and balance (BSB), I find my Spirituality as one too.

5 comments:

Debpat said...

Your words about death being a spiritual experience resonate with me. I was at my grandmaw's side when she died of cancer. I was a 20-year old senior in college at the time. After living a long and full life, my grandmother died in her home surrounded by her family. It remains one of the most powerful, beautiful, and yes,spiritual, experiences of my life. A gift from her to me to hopefully carry me through to my own eventual ending.

sheryl braunstein said...

Isn't it amazing how saying the Shema can be such a spiritual and powerful experience? For me it's a way to refocus and put things in perspective - and also a way to feel connected to God and to all Jews.

Rabbi Paul Kipnes said...

There is something quite powerful about saying words that Jews worldwide are saying.

Having been taught recently that "Adonai Echad" can also mean "God of Oneness" opened up a totally new experience for me. Suddenly, saying Shema meant affirming that through God, we all - people I know, people I don't know - are connected.

Rabbi Paul Kipnes said...

I'm intrigued also if others find spirituality being associated with the death of a loved one. Many Bar/Bat Mitzvah students share this experience, which they confess as we prepare their d'var Torah. That they felt most spiritual when a loved one had died. Why do you think that is?

Babygub said...

I definitely feel a stronger sense of spirituality when death is near. I sat at my grandma's bedside, sang her Lechi Lach, told her it was ok to let go, then watched her slowly pass away from this life. It was a moment I will never forget. A golden moment shared between just the three of us; Booboo, Me, and God.