Saturday, May 8, 2010

Seeking G-d

I was so flattered when Rabbi Kipnes asked me to join this blog, but mostly I was amazed that he though I might actually have something interesting to say!
I am participating because it's an honor to do so, and because I have learned that it is in the seeking of G-d that I find any serenity at all.

I come by spirituality by accident; by survival really. There came a time in my twenties, when my back was against the wall, death was staring me in the face, and I had to make a choice: find a reason to be here, or leave. It was then that I began what is now a 20 year journey along a spiritual path. My journey has been anything but smooth, but I continue on it, nonetheless. I have no choice.

I feel spiritual when I can't take one more step; when I can't show up for one more person, or one more responsibility, or even one more day. Then from somewhere either deep inside of me or outside of me (maybe both), I am able to move forward. I feel spiritual when, once in a while, I feel joy, or I have a wave of gratitude, or I get a renewed zest for life. I feel spiritual when my children tell me they love me, and when I realize how lucky I am to have been given a second chance.

I feel spiritual when I am able to forgive myself.

EB

3 comments:

Rabbi Paul Kipnes said...

Welcome Liz to the Conversation about spirituality. I love the "spirituality by accident" comment. It reminds me of George's post below that he began to connect to his spirituality through the back door - when others pushed him through by virtue of their taunting.

I find God both outside of me (transcendent) and within (immanent). Simultaneously. Sometimes I think that its just ALL GOD, and we are merely imagining the separation between ourselves and from God. My teachers call that "monism." I call it "whole-ism".

Babygub said...

SHOCKED to hear you would think no one would think you've got anything interesting to add. I think you are incredibly interesting and I am glad you're joining in on the blog. Looking to reading more insightful things you've got to offer!

Lizzie Brasler said...

Thanks, Kim.