Saturday, May 1, 2010

Watch the roads! Spirituality Seeking New Blogger on the Web!

I feel a bit like a virgin. Here it is 2010 and this is the first time I have ever created a new post on the internet. (Facebook updates don't count, right?) I'm nervous, leaving this "permanent record" of momentary thoughts that I may no longer agree with in my old, possibly crabby, age. What if I write something, totally sure about my feelings on the topic when I hit "Publish Now" but a second, a week, a month, a lifetime later I change my mind? I can be wishy washy that way. I waffle like that in my spirituality, too. One thing consistently makes me feel most spiritual - being outside. Yeah, I know. Skin cancer. Wrinkles. Age Spots. Do not try this without consulting your physician. But I find that if I get time outside, whether gardening, hiking or just reading a magazine outside, I feel most spiritual. It's like being a part of the universe to feel the breeze and sunshine on my face, to hear the leaves rustling and birds singing, to smell the roses, jasmine and honeysuckle (you can tell what's blooming in my yard right now, can't you?) I never tire of being outside. Just don't ell my dermatologist how spiritual I am. He'll lecture me.

4 comments:

Paul Kipnes said...

Welcome to the conversation and to the world of blogging. It can be fun, thought-provoking and addicting.

So many of us find our spirituality in the outdoors. Up on a mountaintop, down by the beach, walking through the forest, hiking up a stream. Sitting under the stars around a campfire. (That's why Or Ami does all those things...)

The great Rabbi Nachman of Bratslav used to go out to the forest, build a fire, sing some words to a special tune... that was how he communed with the Holy One.

From Rabbi Paul Kipnes

linda said...

Wow I have never bogged before, and find it a bit nerve racking, but I could not pass up Rabbi Paul's invitation to "talk" about spirituality. Where do I begin? I grew up in an orthodox home and never really under stood or related to the Jewish part of me. We did things because my mom said this is the way we do it, never explaining the reason's why we Jews do what we do. It wasn't until 13 years ago I was part of the 12 families that started Or Ami, that I really connected to the spirituality side of being a Jew. I learned why we do the things we do, through Torah Study with Rabbi Paul, conversations with other Or Ami members and most importantly my studies through The Melton School. I am a completely different person now than I was years ago. My understanding of Jewish law has changed me to become a better Jew, not in the ritual sense, but in the spirituality sense. I am so PROUD to be Jewish, to be part of a of a people who never gave up, and most especially our relationship to G-D. My Jewish spirituality is one of the most important aspects of my life. I LOVE BEING JEWISH AND BEING PART OF OR AMI. Thank You Rabbi Paul for all you have taught me and looking forward to always learning more!

Paul Kipnes said...

When Linda says "My understanding of Jewish law has changed me to become a better Jew, not in the ritual sense, but in the spirituality sense," it touches on a path to spirituality that is significant to many - the notion that knowledge and understanding brings an openness to the inspiring reality of the spiritual world in which we live. Do others find knowledge brings spirituality or the reverse?

Sue Gould said...

Linda and I are taking the Florence Melton Mini School & learning tons about the history of Jewish customs, rituals and holidays. The material is fascinating but unlike Linda, I find it hard to reconcile the loving, warm, joyful Judaism that we practice at Or Ami with the vengeful and angry Judaism of the bible.