Friday, November 19, 2010

Spirituality Is My Crutch

At least that's what some people want to believe. Grieving is a funny thing, we all do it but in different ways and on different time lines. After recently experiencing the greatest loss of my life, 9 months ago, I have found myself on an incredible journey through grief & sadness, love & spiritual awakening. Spirituality hit me as hard as the loss itself. This spiritual journey has guided through the darkness, lifted my heart, my spirit, and my soul. I have found "MY" God, the one withIN ME, not someone else, not one that someone has told me I should believe in. Recently I have become confused by the reaction of some people around me, those whom say they care, those whom say they love me. It seems they have a perception that this spiritual thing is bad, is harmful, is false. Its not OK that I am happy, that I have found peace and acceptance, this spirituality must be tricking me, I being fooled by something that I couldn't possible believe, or found on my own. If they could only take the time to read some of my earlier posts, maybe they could understand that spirituality is not new to me, but it had been locked inside, trying in vain to get out. For me, Erica (my wife) held the key, when she died, as she left our physical presence, she unlocked the door, opened my heart to the extent it never had been before. As she left me she empowered me to share with the rest of the world what only she knew and saw before. Some people understand and embrace the new ME, some are frightened. It feels to me as if they think my spirituality is a crutch, like alcohol or drugs, as if I were using it as an escape to mask reality as opposed to a tool to gain strength, perspective and understanding. This negative energy is a powerful thing, something that I have fought since the day Erica died, for some the negativity is their crutch, their way of coping and that is ok, it is their path. Today I am reaching deep into my spiritual toolbox, trying to pull away from this vortex of negativity, trying to get back to the peaceful, beautiful place, where Erica's spirit dwells, where her presence embraces me allowing me to live, love and be present for my children, my family and friends.

2 comments:

Adam Chambers said...

J (I think it's Joe),

I don't know you other than in passing but I can see one thing very clearly from your posts, honesty. I see a man trying his best to understand what his life has given him and doing what he can to grasp meaning. A man not withering and blowing away like many of us would but a man trying to understand the "why", a man trying to find meaning in a perverse tragedy. So if it's spirit that you find? So be it. It beats booze and self pitty

For me, in the search for the soul there can only be truth. For many this truth can be terrifying, especially in the context of death. Perhaps even more upsetting if truth and honesty of spirit hadn't always been omnipresent.

Try to remember for many of us our first response is to personalize your circumstance and then project how we might help you handle it. It is because we love you and want to help and this response probably had worked in the past. It is from love they come I am sure of it.

Your words are honest and evocative. I have read your previous posts and they have inspire me. Keep it up.

Your friend
A

Sue Gould said...

As the (in)famous television show said "One Life to Live". Enjoy every day.