Sunday, November 7, 2010

Souls

One of the things I think about when the term spirituality is used is the soul. The question of what happens to our souls when we die has always intrigued me; and at the same time, being in the presence of a loved one during his or her last days or directly after their death can be an experience that is profoundly soul effecting.

When my grandmother passed away over a year ago in July, I knew her beautiful, vibrant soul had to exist somewhere in some form, even though her body was lifeless. She had touched and loved others so deeply, and planted seeds of light, hope, and wisdom in those who loved her.

When families and friends united to share stories, keeping her memory alive, there were spiritual moments for many of us, as we felt both the power of remembering and the pain of her loss deep in our cores - in our souls.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Nicely said about souls. Hard to believe that such complex, caring entities just go away when the physical body gives out.

marsigore said...

I loved this; I feel very similar to you when it comes to the soul or essence of a person who was a part of our lives.

Debpat said...

Perhaps the question of where a person's soul goes can be answered in part by your comments. I would like to think that a soul passes on a part of itself to those who truly loved the person who used to embody it.
~ Debby