Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Presence of Life's Power

There is no doubt something wonderous is at work that powers each and everyone of us, as well as what sustains life in all life forms on Earth. I witnessed the moment my step dad died - was in the room with him. Never felt anything like it; something actually left the room!

It was this moment that compels me to believe there is something beyond us and Earth. Hard to believe we all just stop existing if you believe what certain athiests think. If G-d exists then the existance has to be about life's power and what is behind this energy that sustains each of us. I cannot believe that this energy just ceases to exists. I struggle to call this energy G-d at times, but there is no doubt something amazing is at work.

I am still blown away how humans have the complex mind to both live and also think about meaning of life. Sometimes I wish I was a lower mammal and just cared about my next meal for the thoughts that can flood my mind about the reasons for existing can be so powerful and overwhelming.

However, I realize how powerful it is to contemplete the meaning of life and how this meaning brings the enjoyment of those the lives around me. No doubt I feel very close to family, but also feel strong bonds to my close friends, my fellow congregants as well as even colleagues at work. These feelings are truly the strong emotions of loving, caring and fondness for fellow humans that gives me pause to feel truly spiritual or even holy. I am also hopeful it is these feelings that will lead us to an age of peace and tolerance.

When the time comes for someone close to me to leave this life on Earth, it is comforting to think they went someplace else; hopefully some place good. I can echo the thought that when we tell stories about them, we keep them alive on some level. There is also the power that they affected us enough for us to tell those stories and give us the feeling of missing them.

I can close that it is this feeling of missing those that have died that helps us acknowledge the presence of life's power (or lack thereof). It is this power that drive us to continue with those memories. I tend to feel sad about a loss of life, but also extraordinarily happy about knowing them while they were alive and seeing their influence on those around them. It is a conflicting feeling, but it is what leads us to spirtuality and a belief in G-d in the first place.

2 comments:

sheryl braunstein said...

It is astounding and overwhelming at times when we contemplate things like existence, inner life and G-d's presence, as opposed to to more primitive, simple thought. I connected to what you had to say.

Sue Gould said...

Nicely stated. Just went through this for the first time. I guess I'll post it in a new post. Thanks for sharing, Kevin.