Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Spirituality in life and death

This one is particularly tough for me. Though I have lost some close friends, and some family members, I never really felt anything spiritual upon their death. Yes, I have seen what I thought was the soul departing but with no real spiritual sense, and believe me I was looking. Perhaps it was due to the fact I was in my teens and all who died had absolutely no G-d in their lives. All were in great pain both physically and emotionally. All had been wounded by generations on sadness and depression. In fact when it comes to this I have always thought that it is me, who is to break that chain. What I do know is, I did see the life leave their bodies and I do believe that it was with the departure of their souls that they were finally able to live.

I absolutely believe in “G-d” (I used to really have a tough time with this word and I know it alienates many people, due to its over use and that men call on it to incite murder) or some “thing”. I cannot look at us, the perfection of the human machine, the brilliance of nature and the infinite space of the universe and think that a mathematical equation is going to answer my questions. I know with a deep sense that G-d exists, though I have no idea what the next step is. I would be lying to say that this doesn’t scare me sometimes because it does. What I choose to believe and what makes sense to me is a discussion for another time. What I can say in a nutshell is that I trust that this is just one step out of many, this earth, this universe, etc and there is so much more to experience on many different “Planes”, this just being one step in a greater life. This also gives me the confidence to “live” my life to the fullest without fear but with an absolute love.

So, the question is, Spirituality, in particular Jewish spirituality because of, or in the face of death? Judaism fills all the voids in between what I do not clearly feel or see. Judaism allows and Judaism teaches and Judaism makes sense of the universe for me. Though I have not (and I do not look forward to it) experienced death of a loved one face to face in many years, I know unequivocally however, I will be turning to my Jewish faith for the answers in that time.

1 comment:

sheryl braunstein said...

Your thoughts are profound. I appreciate your honesty and struggle, and really connect with the idea of there being other "planes" to experience in our journey of existence.